Use chickpeas, the original plant-based protein, to make this fresh take on a menu favourite. If you want the chickpeas saucier, add a splash of salsa while cooking or water and tomato paste.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- ¼ cup diced onions
- ¼ cup diced sweet peppers
- 1 tbsp Horton Spice Mills Taco Seasoning
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Chickpea Taco Salad
- 2 cups greens – crisp varieties work best here to hold up the other ingredients
- 3 Cherry or grapes tomatoes, quartered
- 1 tbsp sliced green onions
- 2 tbsp shredded cheese
- 1 tbsp Lime crema
- 1 cup prepared Taco Chickpeas
- Tortilla strips or crushed tortillas
- Cilantro leaves
- For the taco chickpeas: in a skillet over medium high, heat oil. Add onions and peppers until softened. Add Horton Spice Mills Taco Seasoning and chickpeas. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until chickpeas are heated through.
- For the salad: Assemble in bowl or plate in the order listed.
- Garnish with tortilla strips and cilantro.
Keywords: vegetarian, chickpeas, taco, salad