Tiki Island Shrimp Roll
For a fresh, healthy snack that’s always a crowd pleaser, try Vietnamese-style salad rolls. Not only can you add your favourite ingredients inside the roll, but you get to play around with all the amazing dipping sauces that complement a salad roll, like spicy peanut sauce.
Technique and flavours are, of course, very important in any dish you create, but another important factor to keep in mind is mouth feel. Tiki Island Shrimp provides the perfect marriage of flavour and mouth feel. Large premium Pacific white shrimp rolled in crushed wontons and sandwiched in the middle of all that fresh veg is the perfect protein to complete this healthy snack.
- 16 pieces Tiki Island Shrimp (1008627)
- 4 oz dried rice vermicelli
- 16 (8½ in.) round rice paper wrappers
- 32 medium fresh mint leaves
- 32 fresh basil or Thai basil leaves
- 2 Serrano chiles, stemmed, halved, seeds removed and julienned
- 1 medium English cucumber, peeled and cut into sticks (¼ x ¼ x 2½ inch)
- 3 medium scallions, quartered length-wise, then cut crosswise into 2½-inch pieces
- 1 large carrot, matchstick cut
- 1 red/green pepper, matchstick cut
- ¾ cup natural creamy peanut butter
- â…” cup water
- 3 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 4½ tsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2¼ tsp chili garlic paste
- 1 medium garlic clove, mashed to a paste
- ½ tsp toasted sesame oil
- Whisk all sauce ingredients together.
- Cook the Tiki Island Shrimp and rice noodles according to package directions..
- Place a clean, damp kitchen towel on a work surface. Fill a large bowl with hot tap water. Working with 1 wrapper at a time, completely submerge the wrapper until it is soft and pliable, about 15 seconds. Remove the wrapper from the water and place it on the towel.
- Working quickly for each roll, lay down 2 mint leaves, 2 basil leaves, rice noodles, half the veg you would like to use, shrimp and rest of veg.
- Roll into a tight wrap using the same technique you would use for rolling a burrito. Serve with dipping sauce.
Tip: For more variety, replace Tiki Island Shrimp with other proteins such as grilled fish or scallops.
Keywords: Vietnamese, salad roll, shrimp, peanut sauce